Saturday, August 11, 2012

Having the time of my life..

...in a deserted field miles from everywhere.

Yup...I needed peace and calm to clear my whirlwind of a brain, from the chaos that seems to reside there. Where better than a back to nature, eco friendly campsite.


This was my view from my creating table.


working in the sunshine...




 Our little home from home. A 50's caravan with no electric or running water.


But plenty of pink and kitsch...A homage to Barbara Cartland...


Of course I wouldn't be able to feel really at home without the semblance of a shrine of naffness. And lo, there she was...a furry Mary..!!


This was the Bell Tent where everyone congregated..but luckily we were the only ones up there so we were Ring Master and Mistress of all we purveyed.


If your names not down, you ain't coming in.!!


The teepee for snuggling in front of a log fire, of an evening.


The kitchen and cooking facilities.


The dressing up rail...of which Mr Babe of Deliciousness took it upon himself to wear at every opportunity.





Don't seem to have any of me dressed up, but here was my favourite ensemble. A crimpeline
 flower power dress and over sized spectacles.!!


This would you believe is the outside bath, which was the most relaxing experience I have ever had. I didn't want to get out. Lying in a hot bath, in an orchard, surrounded by candles and fairy lights transported me to such inner calm I can't explain.!! Anyone got a spare bath I can have for my garden back home?


I was still journaling right up till the last minute.


Whilst Mr B of D, transported our belongings, in style, up and down the 400 yard dirt path.


If you want to know where we were, it was at La Rosa camp site, in Whitby. It is by no means for the faint hearted. The toilet is a compost one, situated in an old raggle taggle gypsy caravan. There is one electric point for the whole site. Cooking is done on open fires or gas burners. The top field where we stayed is only accessible on foot and all your belongings have to be carried there.

But, and I really mean BUT..!!! It was a fabulous experience from which I didn't want to leave. My head has been so overactive and overwhelmed lately with all that is happening, that I was beginning to drown under it all, and I needed to be somewhere that I could breath and just be me. I needed to feel inspired and to be free to create just for me. Now my idea of camping is in a hotel, with a big bed and a hot shower, so I was a bit apprehensive, but oh my, I couldn't have gone to a better place. The tension just seeped out of my and I journaled from first light to dusk.The first night there, in the middle of nowhere, I felt safe and secure and slept solid for 11 hours I feel rejuvenated, refreshed and totally inspired. Teaching art journaling, both here and in the States, although totally enjoyable and very fulfilling, is extremely draining and I often arrive home replete of energy and feelings and it is a struggle to make sense of it all and find myself again. But I most certainly did here. Unfortunately the time passed far too quick for my liking, but fear not because part two of our adventures leads us to their sister hotel, overlooking the sea and abbey.

Will report back later

Enjoy xx

29 comments:

Sue said...

Looks like the perfect spot to reconnect with you. Enjoy the rest of your vacation...err...holiday!

Ann-Marie said...

Wow what a place, can remember you telling us at AJ about it, but couldnt imagine how fab it was until seeing the pictures now, I think I want the caravan for my garden, glad you have had a good rechargexxx

ellen vargo designs said...

So happy you got some "YOU" time! Must admit, I didn't figure you for a 'camping girl'... glad you enjoyed it so much! That outdoor bath sounds heavenly! Now, instead of just "gorgeous" I shall call you "Mother Earth of Gorgeous-ness"... LOL! Hope part 2 is just as fab for you. Enjoy!

Ellen xxx

Helen said...

Looks amazing, and sounds completely idyllic, despite the "primitive" conditions. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Monica said...

Change is a wonderful way to relax. making art as a job is as exhausting as any other job

debbie r said...

i don't do camping but that place might just change my mind, it looks fabulous, glad you had such a wonderful time

texasbarb said...

What a wonderful kitchy place to rest and regroup! Enjoy you time away from "have to's"!!!

Siobhan Brignull said...

wow Dyan that looks Idyllic, sometimes we need to strip all the excess away and just enjoy.

Sandra Hall said...

Darling friend Im sooooo glad you both have had some R and R! Much deserved.
Have to say Andy's outfits look.... er..... great? hehehehe! Can't wait to hear of your hotel escapades :) x x x

Nancy said...

Oh, how heavenly! What a wonderful retreat! I'm glad you have been able to escape & relax.

chrissie said...

This all looks so amazing and perfect for you to unwind and relax. The word Whitby blows me away at the best of times but I didn't know there was anywhere so special hidden away there. We had a week in a fisherman's cottage in Whitby earlier this year and I thought that was way out enough lol.

Love Chrissie xx

Kaz Hall said...

Awww you look the picture of mother nature.....glad you got some you time, you deserve it so much. Look forward to the hotel pictures, looks my kinda place xxx

Snogs

Kaz x

Alda said...

What joy to read this blogpost.
Good to know you got your rest and me time.
Now I don't want to put pressure on you right away.... But it sure is Holland time too!!!!
Stay healthy and creative.
XO

olive said...

oh looks absolutely amazing... so you. I rather fancy the bath outside, with candles etc..... what an experience. glad you are rejuvenating. xx

Dee in N.H. said...

Oh sigh.....that looks like a direct piece of heaven. Makes me happy just looking in......

Picture This said...

The fuzzy brown costume really cracked me up. I wonder if I could get my hubby to do that? Looks like an awesome place to unwind. Glad you were able to enjoy it!

DawnW

Picture This said...

The fuzzy brown costume really cracked me up. I wonder if I could get my hubby to do that? Looks like an awesome place to unwind. Glad you were able to enjoy it!

DawnW

Unknown said...

Just needs a banner across the caravan home sweet home.me I like hotel hilton camping every time I went camping it rained my sleeping bag got wet and my clothes.I bet you have a hut at hayling or somewhere. My auntie has one and she is 93 and has picnics at the hut so perhaps we will see you parked in your back yard enjoying a long weekend when you are 93 with your silly classes and all I had a neighbor who always pulled pranks on me and one April fools I woke up and lined up where old toilets filled with plastic flowers. Now try to figure out how to get get rid of them....

Unknown said...

Home sweet home

Unknown said...

Dyan while you are relaxing in the sun can you design a binder for the rubber stamps you sell I spoke to Tim and he was wondering also why there was only two holes on the wrong side they will not fit any binders in Canada. By the way we would love to have you come to clippers street in Langley BC Canada we don't bite and we love to get our hands messy. We have lots of paper towel.......

Dawn said...

YOU ROCK! What a great place. Love your blog :)

Miranda said...

wow that place looks surely like a lot of fun, camping that way is the best way and the most enjoyable
and creating outdoor is the best there is...love it
glad to hear you regained some energy again
hugs
Miranda

Bast said...

Your camp looks amazing! That is now #32 on my list of reasons to move to the UK ;).

What a place to host an Art Journal Retreat! You are so lucky to have Mr 'B.O.D.' to help move the supplies.

Sounds like a wonderful vacation! Would love a peek a the journals you created.

KimMJ
bast830@comcast.net

Marjolein said...

Glad you had a great stay! Hope you feel completely refreshed now!! And that bathtub.... would love one outside in my yard, guess the neighbours would too though:)

Dina said...

This makes me happy. You deserve peace and fulfillment. Love ya!

MaRyKaY said...

You are so awesome. I like you even more now. That is my kind of hangout. I am so darn jealous of you for being able to hang out there and not me. That bathtub was awesome. I love those old claw footed deep bathtubs and taking one outside would have been awesome.
You are such a lucky lady...
You Rock..

inge said...

Hello Dyan,

I can imagine that doing art shows and being between people and teaching sometimes get you overwhelmed by stimuli...

Then it's good to come home and have a place to rejuvenate yourself.

My husband is not into camping, but the place where you have been would suit me perfectly for a few days !
Love the caravan and how it's decorated.
Together with the "dressclothes" it makes you smile immediately !

I hope your DH doesn't ran around in the first two costumes the whole day !
Luckily you had such a nice weather to stay there too so you could be in the outside the whole day.

I have a place where you could teach ànd have a bath outside : My home in Belgium...

I have a bath outside in my garden since past year and having hot temperatures the past days I'm SOOO happy I have it.

I have an outside bed and wanted an outside bath too... I searched the internet for an old bath and I found it for 100 euro...
The water is cold, but that's just cooling my body perfectly.

I 've been in the bath with a glass of wine and with a cup of coffee and a cookie, reading a magazine... Feels like I'm a miljonair in my own house.

I blogged about my outside bath on my blog...
So, you're welcome to visit my website and maybe one day Belgium ? ...

You can find the blogpost here:
http://www.pinkepinke.be/2012/07/29/a-belgian-summer-at-home/

All I can do is advice to really search the internet for a bath and just do it ! You won't regret !!!

greetings from belgium
Inge

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow, it looks totally amazing! What a great place! Glad you managed to have a break :-)
Just back from my hols - hope to see you soon x

Kyla said...

ooh, this looks amazing. We love 40's and 50's kitsch and camping so its the best of both worlds! Thanks for the tip off.

Kyla

Quote of the Century


"You are an extraordinary woman.


How can you expect anything ordinary to happen to you"


Louisa May Alcott